Saturday 3 April 2010

The Rev. James

The Rev James "A Taste of the Good Life", (4.5%) brewed by Brains after an 1885 recipe. When I say brewed by Brains, I mean that's the name of the brewery, not that it's been produced in some Steve Martinesque laboratory. They're a Welsh brewery (hence the red dragon on the bottle top) with a large chain of pubs in Wales and the West of England, which I've never had the pleasure of.

I'm drinking this bottle with some slightly spicy meatloaf sandwiches, and it would accompany any hearty traditional beef dish dish, but it isn't really dark or heavy enough for use in stewing. The beer itself is a smooth, dry (almost dusty, but not quite), warming brew, with a light bitter finish. Or something like that. Medium chestnut brown in colour, not a heavy drink at all. I don't know how true it is to the original recipe, materials and processes, but it tastes aged, wholesome and earthy. This is a good everyday Hobbity beer, not quirky or 'special' but a robust stable drinker.

I bought mine in Tescos, but the beer is avaliable though Asda, Sainsburys, Majestic and Waitrose as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment